Skip to main content

Interview with Jess Peacock

“Eminently readable, exhaustively  researched, and always thoughtful. Well worth reading for any scholar, student, or fan of the genre." - David Wellington, author of Positive and 13 Bullets

“Jess Peacock knows his theology and his vampires, making him a perfect guide to the dark places he wants to take us. Such A Dark Thing successfully explores how our fascination with the hungry undead not only connects with religious themes, but also sex, politics, and even social justice.” - Scott Poole, author of Monsters in America: Our Historical Obsession with the Hideous and the Haunting

“Equal parts fan-boy adulation and academic analysis, this delightful book expresses such joy and enthusiasm in either mode. Those who identify as either fan or critic (or both) will find here fresh insight into and inspiration from their favorite monster!” - Kim Paffenroth, author of Gospel of the Living Dead: George Romero’s Visions of Hell on Earth


Why did you write Such a Dark Thing?
As I wrote in the preface of the book, I was heavily influenced by the horror genre during my childhood, particularly the vampire subgenre. The monsters lurking within the movies I watched and the novels I read were reflective of my insecurities and the marginalization I often felt as a kid; that I often still feel.

When I started working in a Christian vocation, serving as a minister of high school students for the better part of a decade, I would often incorporate movie clips from horror films into my lessons. More often than not this would result in angry parents (not to mention angry pastors), which never ceased to amaze me, as the theological implications embedded within films such as Fright Night, ‘Salem’s Lot, or Hammer’s Horror of Dracula were abundantly clear to me and served, so I thought, as a great jumping off point for discussions of a religious nature that were actually interesting and relevant to teenagers.

Fast forward a few years, and my interests in horror and theology dovetailed nicely with the type of research I was developing while pursuing my master’s degree.

So, why did I write Such a Dark Thing
I needed to write it because, well, how lucky could one person be?? I get to tumble around in conceptual playgrounds rife with symbolism and rich ideological history; theology and horror, each world complimentary of the other as ideas and concepts coalesce around the literary and cinematic figure of the vampire (where it’s been, where it’s going, and what it might tell us about ourselves) as it relates to religious studies. Plus, vampires are just cool.

Who is the audience for Such a Dark Thing?
I felt like I was walking a conceptual tightrope while writing the book, as I wanted it to be accessible to not only the non-academic, but also the non-religious. My hope is that fans of the horror genre will find a lot to love about Such a Dark Thing, and will use it to foster a deeper understanding of the cultural impact of the horror genre beyond simple entertainment.

However, the core of the book also needed to be academic and well researched. To balance these two requirements, I decided to approach the different chapters as primers for the various theological and sociological topics covered within, hopefully making the book ideal for an Intro to Theology or a Religion and Culture class, while also being entertaining and elegant enough for the average reader.

And who knows, much like Christopher Lee’s Dracula returning again and again to terrorize buxom victims, maybe Such a Dark Thing could warrant a sequel sometime in the future.

What do you hope people will take away from reading Such a Dark Thing?
My hope is that this book, in some small way, serves as a bridge between horror aficionados and students of theology. As a pupil of both, I not only see and appreciate the parallels and connections between them, I also firmly believe they are mutually beneficial, adding depth and enhancing our avenues of analysis surrounding popular culture and religion.

In addition, with Such a Dark Thing I wanted to frame the traditional vampire narrative as a form of resistance literature, serving as a metaphorical blueprint for the fight against oppression within society. If nothing else, I would want the reader to walk away thinking about the repression they either witness or are subjected to in their own lives and how they might resist and combat the spiritual, emotional, and physical subjugation that is, as opposed to the vampire, a very real part of our world.

What makes you qualified to write a book on vampires and theology?
In all honesty, I don’t feel qualified to write this book. Sure, my background is in sociology and theology, and I am a (overly?) passionate horror nerd, but writing a book somehow makes a statement that one is an authority on a topic. I am not. But I do have something to say and, ultimately, as William Faulkner said, “If a story is in you, it has to come out.” This just happens to be the story I needed to tell.

Some might get the impression from Such a Dark Thing that you are anti-religion. How would you respond to this?
No, I am not anti-religion. I am, however, anti-orthodoxy. I view the exploration and dissection of Christian theology similar to that of a detective working toward the resolution of a crime: follow the facts. And while facts are infrequent in theological studies, we as academics must cut through centuries of creeds and dogma to get to the core of what unquestioned belief in an omnipotent and omniscient deity, one that allows and, in some cases, causes immense suffering within the world, really means for the faith community. Religion, Christianity in particular, is not, nor has it ever been, immutable, despite what many might think. Throughout history, religion has adapted to the larger culture, and an ideological and narrative reformation is needed now more than ever. So, if anything, I am making an argument that, in order to survive, contemporary religion must evolve beyond the antiquated laws, doctrine, and theologies that prevent modern audiences from fully embracing it, and develop into a vibrant mosaic of transcendent and transforming narratives.

What do you see for the future of the vampire narrative within popular culture?
It’s safe to say that the vampire is never going away. It will adapt and evolve, but it will never die. Why should it? As I discuss in Such a Dark Thing, even as society and popular culture progresses and changes, the vampire follows suit. The figure still exists as a powerful representation of topics including death, redemption, and the struggle for freedom against oppressive forces. And while most of the blatant religious themes within the traditional vampire narrative have diminished if not vanished entirely, I am confident that at some point in the future they will come back around. If hipsters can bring back mopeds and parachute pants, someone will inevitably resurrect the religious roots of the vampire.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your book, Mr. Peacock. I posted a brief review on my blog this morning: sawiggins.wordpress.com. Keep up the good work!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this, so sorry for the late response. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy of the Marsten House

Be sure to like my Facebook page Legacy of the Marsten House ! The project   is the core of my PhD research, examining the enduring impact of Stephen King's sophomore novel 'salem's Lot by putting it into conversation with movements of liberation within the culture. The upcoming monthly podcast will dive into the novel, both of the mini-series productions, as well as the two short stories, the BBC produced radio drama, individual characters from the narrative, and a whole lot more.

“That Makes Them Our Enemy”: The Dogmatic Belief of Morpheus

      Since it was first released in 1999, The Matrix , directed by sisters Lilly and Lana Wachowski, has had a considerable impact on the wider popular culture, the consequences of which are still being felt twenty years later. Through its unique and ingenious blending of various religious motifs, cyberpunk staples, Japanese anime, a heavy reliance on the works of Joseph Campbell, as well as groundbreaking special effects that revolutionized the film industry, The Matrix has secured a place in history as not only an entertaining film, but one rife with theological depth and meaning. In addition, the subsequent sequels, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions , while often criticized as convoluted, pretentious, and directionless, actually serve to bring to fruition a story of justice and redemption that, if left alone at the conclusion of The Matrix , would have only told a fraction of the liberative narrative the Wachowski sisters had in mind.       While this redem

Dracula Untold

At one point in the film Dracula Untold , Prince Vlad (Luke Evans), having just taken his final step on his journey toward becoming the legendary figure of Dracula, whispers, “I’ve seen Hell, so I know there’s a Heaven.” His lament, aside from feeling somewhat uninspired, hints at a return within cinema to the religious roots that have grown deep into the vampire narrative within popular culture, a narrative that deals with issues of the soul, the hope for a life hereafter, and the potential of forces beyond our control to deface or even destroy that hope. The focus of the soul in vampire narratives is the most prescient clue as to the religious nature of the vampire and the mythos surrounding it, and this is abundantly the case within Dracula Untold .        As the Turkish Empire demands the unthinkable of the army-less Transylvanian territory, Prince Vlad seeks the power to protect his people and lay waste to the invading militaries of Mehmed (Dominic Cooper), the Sultan of Tur